Welcome

Hello and welcome to my humble blog! My interests are in God, my family and friends, being myself, SteamPunk , sewing, plants, the Great Outdoors, volunteering, gaming, and loving life.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Masks

Well as some(or most in this case) of you may or may not (definitely the latter) know is that I love hats and masks(masquerade style and the like) and what I love even more is making them.I have made quite a few masks and hats (and mock helmets) and I decided to embark on the making of one for my SteamPunk Costume Contest Entry at Origins Game Fair this year and it so happens to be a Plague Doctor Mask.Ok,lets fill in some back story here(and history),I saw this mask for the first time in the 2009-2010 winter playing Assassin's Creed II (the doctors wear them) and I was recently reading up on the mask and found out that during the 13th century (Bubonic or Black) Plague Doctors were hired to treat people afflicted with said virus.The mask's "beak" or nose contained a very crude breathing filter that was thought to stop any air-borne viruses (unsurprisingly many doctors contracted the virus) but the mask has existed for the many centuries since then and now here we are.About the construction of the mask,I still need to coat it with paper-mache or a glue and flour mixture and then paint it.The main thing stopping that is that I need to find some red lenses to place in the eye-holes but I also need to mount them in some goggles that I can pop in from the back but I gotta get those lenses(the reason for red lenses is that was the traditional colour for Plague Doctor Masks way back in the day).Anyhoo,for my costume I plan on getting a black frock or over coat (maybe both if I can find/make them) that I'll wear over my "bloody" Sweeney Todd shirt,black vest,and black dress pants.Then I shall have a small chest of drawers rigged as a back-pack to hold all my herbs(I actually am learning about medicinal herbs and know quite a bit so it ain't all rubbish let me tell you),and will be carrying a leather hand bag that will hold all my apparatuses(Dullified hand operated circular saw blade for amputations and whatever crazy things I can come up with by then)oh,I also need to find/make a wide brimmed black hat.Anyhoo,it shall be quite interesting being a SteamPunk Field Medic/Herbalist.


No comments:

Post a Comment