Welcome

Hello and welcome to my humble blog! My interests are in God, my family and friends, being myself, SteamPunk , sewing, plants, the Great Outdoors, volunteering, gaming, and loving life.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Updates and greenhorn Backpacking




Well hello blog followers,I have been busy (No,not idle) and am able to now upload pictures (Yay) so I have worked a lot on the mask (all I have to do is get a strap on it and more breathing holes/openings/etc) and the bike is good now.Also,as some of you may or may not know another one of my favorite outdoors hobbies is hiking..well backpacking actually.In Florida I used to go on a lot of day hikes and when I was 14 I saw a 2 (maybe it was 4) hour documentary about backpacking the Appalachian Trail and I knew that someday I was going to hike it.Yeah,yeah,yeah,almost everybody from this Nation has heard of or known someone who said they will and then call it quits (theres a reason why only about 1-in-4 people who start it as a through hike finish it) but they usually don't have a) the will-power or b) the training,stamina,etc (please note that b) is completely optional if you have lots of a)..It has happened).With me I won't be able to realize my dream until I retire or take a summer off but if I retire early I won't need to take a summer off (It's amazing how living on less than you make frees up all that money that you could,say,put to retirement with dignity).Another reason why I can't take the summer off is because thats when I'd be working at my Greenhouse/Nursery.





So I've finally started training just for backpacking period yesterday and took out my external frame Cabela's for the first time with 50lbs of chickfeed in it and over a 1/2 gallon of water...Bad Idea!From now one I will follow what every dag-nabbit book/website/person says and not do that! Ooh I still ache all over,it was fun but it was hell (then again I didn't learn how to put a backpack on correctly till AFTER I had hiked 9.2 miles in four hours(please note that that is including breaks and searching for a geocache at the halfway point)).When I placed the pack on correctly then I realized how wrong I had put it on..lol.Anyhoo,so my hip-bones are chaffed and I also learned why most hikers try to keep it under 40lbs.Another good thing is that I found that cache.


My External frame Cebala's I bought for $20 at a garage sale last September.Whenever I can find it online again I'll post the site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment